Thursday, August 26, 2010

Signs of the Times

While traveling last weekend to Nairobi and our favorite breakfast spot, Richard and I passed several very illuminating and engaging signs.  Usually when I saw one, I would scream, "Slow Down!  I have to take a picture!" And then Richard would say, "Did you get it?  Because this bus is about to run us over."

So I will start with signs on buses.  Their are two main bus companies in Nairobi: City Hoppa and Paradiso.  There are also privately owned buses with names like "Negotiator" and "Honesty is the Best Policy."  These names are prominently displayed on both windshields and the sides of the bus so there can be no mistake.  In addition, many buses have spoilers.  Yes, I said spoilers.


My favorite road sign of the day is the caution triangle of the silhouette car falling off the cliff created by road construction.  I'm so glad they posted these signs every 20 feet or I might have tried driving off the road thinking it was safe.



As evidenced above, there is a major road construction project on the main highway which is being managed by a Chinese company.  They have kindly hung banners to ease the tension this construction causes.  My favorite banner?  "Any inconvenience is highly regretted."



As we were coming home, we got stuck behind a huge, smelly, dirty smoking lorry.  When the exhaust cleared, we realized the lorry was called the "Exhauster" and you could call them to come and "Exhaust" something (your septic tank, come to find out).  At least there was no false advertising going on!



1 comment:

  1. So, the pink bus ... is the company name "SoSos" as in you get a "so-so" ride, "S.O.S.O.S" like ...--- ... but there was such a mayday that they had to repeat the O.S. again to make sure you got the message, or something different entirely? Also, is that arrow thing a wind-vane on the top? Because that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete