Saturday, August 14, 2010

Duty

Today, I am on duty.  I am the point person for locking and unlocking the gate, for waking up by 6:15 to give the kitchen keys to the cooks (on a Saturday!), for opening the art room for the volunteer who comes and teaches our students every weekend, and for being on call in case something crazy happens.  We always pray that nothing crazy will happen, especially on the weekend.  So far so good!

Richard is on duty tomorrow, so he went to town to today, as in to Nairobi.  He is doing grocery shopping and drinking a mocha and is going to bring me back some flowers.

Since I'm hanging around the village, I want to show you some of the pictures of things around here that I like.


I JOY HEART.  I'm not sure exactly what the message is here.  I love Joy?  I am Joy, love to you?  I have joy in my heart?  Whatever it means, I think I like it.


The border inside the pre-primary school building is made of the students hands and names, each set of hand prints in a different color.  It's so fun to walk through and see how much the children have grown!


I found this little guy sunning his wings while I was walking the trail around the village.  I think he looks like a bat or vampire clinging to a church spire.



These are two of my students from Class 3.  Mary, on the left, has given me enough notes and drawings to decorate the front of my refrigerator.  It doesn't feel like "duty" being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment