Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Widows' Actual Work

I would like to share my amazing Saturday experiences with you.


These are the poor women of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA) working on beautiful products.  Many of them have HIV and are outcasts, or their children have died of AIDS and now they are responsible for grandchildren they cannot support.  Enter the widows' program!


Only a few of the women speak English, one of Kenya's two official languages.  They meet to work and sing hymns and have Bible study.


The only light in the room came from the windows and the door.  No light bulb in sight.


They had laid out their handiwork for us to see.  So beautiful!


One woman had a child with her. 



Outside, while talking with the coordinator Helen (above), I felt someone put a necklace around my neck.  The women had given me the most intricate and beautiful necklace of all.  It makes me cry to think about it.


We left with one more gift: a smile from these beautiful women, who now have hope and an income.

No comments:

Post a Comment