Saturday, September 18, 2010

How I Grade Papers Most Effectively

Many people have asked what we do for fun over here.  And then they ask, do you have much time for fun?  I think they feel a little guilty asking about hobbies and the like knowing we are here to work.  Of course, if they've seen anything on the Tea Farm, the guilt goes out the window.  I would like to explain how I mix fun and work together to have time for both.

First off, you cannot teach 11-13 year olds Reading and Writing and retain whatever sanity you have if you don't make it fun for yourself and for your kiddos. For instance, we read King of the Wind as a class this past term.  It's a great book about the Goldophin Arabian and his rough start.  In the novel, a kind English woman bakes scones and other goodies for the main character, a kid from Morocco.  I happened to have scones at home and shared with the class.  They really liked the sweet, except most of the class called them "stones." You win some, you lose some.

That brings me to how I most effectively grade papers.  Like last weekend.  I graded and recorded nine sets of grades for my 18 students in class 6, including an essay on their favourite colour.  Yes, I do procrastinate sometimes. Why do you ask?  To break up the tedium and to have a reward at the end, I made cinnamon rolls from scratch.  Baking has become my hobby, especially yeasty, yummy-goodness.


Baking gives me a deadline.  You start the rolls or bread or whatever and you have a solid hour to do something productive like grade papers or come up with a study guide for the next novel.  Right about the time you're getting stir-crazy, it's time to shape your treat for a few minutes.  Then you have another hour while it rises a second time to finish your task.  A little bit in the oven and voila! You have a reward for all of your hard work over the last two hours.  And there's more for breakfast.  And your husband is happy.  Life is good.


1 comment:

  1. So we prayed for y'all in bible study tonight and Lynn also mentioned that she thought those cinnamon rolls looked amazing! Everyone agreed ;-) lol. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking and praying about you and your blog is very much read even if we don't always comment. Love you friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete