Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

In seventh grade, I decided to become a band director when I grew up. Or as the kids say here, "when I got big."  Anyway, it worked!  I went to college and voila, I was certified to teach band. 

So I taught every subject but music for a year. Hmmm. 

Then I did teach band...and strings.  Hmmm.

Now I'm teaching English and general music and....choir.  Hmmm.

But, I love it!  Who knew?  Certainly not my seventh grade self.  Or my college self that said I would NEVER teach strings.  Or my post-college self that said no way to choir or general music.

I think I'm starting to understand Proverbs 16:9 - "The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps."


Thankfully, my choir director husband has agreed to let me be the assistant and to actually do most of the teaching for choir. 



All of that to say, I'm learning right along side of our kids and really enjoying it.  We do silly things like make siren sounds and sing bum-bum-bum-bum-bumble-bee over and over.  And somehow (and by somehow I mean Richard), the 25 Class 4-6 students in Primary School Choir are starting to sound like..a choir. 
It's amazing.



We have our first performance coming up in three weeks for School Recitation.  Every class from K4 up through Class 9 presents something they have learned this term.  Our choir will present the hymn "Let All Things Now Living" in two-part harmony.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment