Friday, January 28, 2011

My Town


In my town, buildings are built with beautiful stone quarried next door.

 

Those buildings might take weeks to build, or months or years, just depending on when the owners come into money.  They build when they can instead of saving.  If it's already been spent on the building, no one can ask to "borrow" it.

 

Eventually, people will come to the building to live and hand wash their laundry in buckets, then hang it on the railing to dry.

 

Most buildings have a name.  Actually, I think everything in Kenya has a name.  Some are decorated more than others.

 

In my town, people shop for groceries on the street and at Naivas.  You can find lots of wonderful things in Naivas from American Garden peanut butter (made in Iran) to fresh somasas in the bakery.  You have to ask for the machine clothes detergent because everyone else uses the hand detergent. People double park at Naivas, so it can be a tricky business.

 

In my town, children hold hands with their mom and love balloon animals, just like in your town.

 

In my town, all the children ask, "How are YOU? How are YOU? How are YOU?"

In my town, I'm quite fine, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment