Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting There

My very first official blog follower, Elizabeth Johnson, arrived from America Sunday a week ago.  We have been plotting our fun for months and have most anticipated going on safari.  So this past Friday morning, Richard, Elizabeth and I were picked up by Alex, our safari guide, in his safari van.  We rode south for five hours to Amboseli National Park and the Ol Tukai Lodge. 

I was amazed at how often and how frequently the landscape changed in just a matter of minutes.  I was also amazed at the huge herd of camels that I did not manage to get a picture of.  It was one of those surreal moments when you stare and forget you have a camera handy.  Anyway, I did manage to take lots of other pictures and I will share them with you in installments. 

This post is all about getting there.


This is right outside of Nairobi.  We passed herd after herd of cows, goats and sheep.  And the elusive camels.


Jagged hills abounded.  I won't call them mountains because we stayed at the bottom of Mt. Kilimanjaro.  Now that's a real mountain.


Small villages showed their faces along the way.


We stopped for fuel and I couldn't resist snapping this photo.  Those seats look like they were taken out of a bus.


We also stopped at a tourist trap to use the toilet and look at souvenirs.  You can tell we were in Masai country because their red fabrics were everywhere.


Liz demonstrated the proper way to use an African mask.


An hour outside of the park and the landscape changed rapidly.  Here, grey and blue...


...changed to red and blue.


Red and blue plus our first wild animal: male ostrich.


Now yellow and blue.


Now green and blue with a side of elephant.

More to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment