Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What's in a Name

Many Kenyans have Biblical names.

This is Rahab:

I teach Moses reading and writing.  It was kind of weird the first time I called on him in class.


But this post is really about Steven, a class one student.

Steven and David were fussing (shouldn't one of them be named Saul?);  anyway, David announced that Steven broke a flower pot:

My teacher instincts kicked in and I thoroughly grilled the suspect.  Actually, he confessed to this mayhem:



"I was playing Samson with Munythia.  He picked the flower pot and then I picked to be strong.  I could not hold and the pot was made to fall."

How can you be mad at a six-year-old when he is role-playing Biblical heroes?

2 comments:

  1. lol aren't kids awesome? You just never know what they will do or say next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Hebrew, "the pot was made to fall" would be expressed in the Hophal stem, which is causative-passive. If that doesn't make sense, have Richard explain it to you.

    ReplyDelete