Monday, March 21, 2011

Lunch

I think I've mentioned before that every Tuesday I have lunch duty during the Class 1-3 lunch shift.  I always walk away smiling.  Here's how it goes:

Soap is dispensed and hands are washed.  I mean really.  How many little boys do you know that consistently wash their hands before they eat (or any time) without having to be reminded?


Next comes the best part: FOOD!  The kitchen staff serve the plates and then one of us puts a piece of fruit on it and hands it to the child.  Big smiles from Clinton on getting his plate of ugali and sukumawiki!


Once the food is in hand, the student grabs a mug with a fork and a serviette (napkin).


The teachers on duty help the students fill up the tables and know where to sit.  This is Mr. Onditi, Class 2 teacher extraordinaire.


The minimissionaries and other visitors usually eat lunch with the kids.  They pick a different table to sit at every day.  The students are so sweet about wanting guests to sit with them.  They will do just about anything to secure you at their table!


Once the table of students has said grace together, the kids dig in.


This is Christine, hamming for my camera.  One day, I will do a video post of her so you can meet her.  She's the student who named my elephant key chain "Susan Wanjiru."


Students are encouraged to drink water with their meal, even though this isn't always a cultural thing.  When you have PE in the afternoon in 90 degree weather, drinking water becomes important.


For our resident kids, eating in the dining hall is a way of life.  For our community kids (above), having toast and tea in the morning and lunch everyday might really be the only true nutritious meals they get.  I am so glad that these meals are provided free of charge to all of our students.  I'm also glad I get to share it with them every Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Thanks for sharing normal life - it's wonderful having a chance to peek into your world! Xxx

    ReplyDelete